Metal roofing has many features that homeowners find appealing. Here’s a quick rundown of the material’s advantages and disadvantages:
Advantages of metal roof
- Lightweight, meaning it doesn’t put so much pressure on your walls and foundations.
- Low maintenance.
- Durable and industry-grade.
- Suitable for Australia’s climates. It can survive the hot and cold weather.
- Fire resistant
- Offers a wide range of colours and appearance.
Disadvantages of metal roof
- You will need to pay up-front for steel roofing materials.
- Some metals are more susceptible to corrosion, but that depends on the circumstances.
- Provides less insulation from heat and noise compared to other roofing materials.
- Has a low thermal mass, meaning it has very little heat storage capacity.
Best metal roofing material
Metal roof maintenance
Metal roofing installation
Are metal roofs versatile?
Is metal the best roofing material for someone building a sustainable home?
Are thin metal roofs strong?